Thursday, December 3, 2015

Natchez Trace Parkway - Meriwether Lewis Site MM 385.9

I ended up staying here for 4 nights.

The first night I had rushed down here near dark and had skipped a bunch of the Parkway. Then went back the next day to do it. Back to the park again because it wouldn't quit raining.

The next day I sat out the rain, reading novels on my E-reader and basically just lazing away the day...nice to do that for a change. I also found a couple of annoying little leaks that will have to be addressed this winter once I get to Quartzite and have some help and advice.

By the beginning of the next day I was starting to get a little antsy so every time the rain stopped, I got out to do something. I walked one of the more hilly roads to get some exercise and managed all but the last 100 yards before it started to rain again...sigh!




Finally in early afternoon I took the van for a drive around the park and some sightseeing. The Meriwether Lewis Memorial Statue is actually in a cemetery but it's hard to tell that until you're walking around. His statue is the only one that is above ground. All the rest including some marked 'unknown' are markers at ground level. It was hard for me to count because the rows aren't even and I was trying to avoid getting soggy feet after 3 days of rain.



Row of gravestone markers


Next up was a visit to the Grinder House site where Meriwether Lewis died. Nothing is left of the site except some stones of a part of the old foundation.




At this point it started to rain heavily again so I made a dash for the van and did a drive by of the rest of the park and then back to my campsite for another night.

It gets dark here really early because I'm on the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone so meals get cooked and eaten by headlamp. Can't wait to get the van wired with a lighting system et al.

Good thing I got the Mobile Hotspot all figured out at the beginning of this trip. I wouldn't be without it now. The weather forecast is for sunshine starting first thing tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it after all this rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment