Monday, December 7, 2015

Natchez Trace Parkway Meriwether Lewis Park to Tishomingo



Yeahhh, the sun was shining when I awoke this morning and I could see blue skies all around me. Time to get on the road!
Metal Ford and the Steel Iron Works at MM 382.8 brought me to the first little walk of the day. It’s interesting to walk down the old water race and think about how much labour must have gone in to even digging out the race to channel water to power the equipment. Today, a backhoe would have it done in hours.





A quick stop at the Napier Mine to find out the answers to an earthcache. Good thing there is a cache here with a wonderfully detailed explanation because the sign board at the mine was completely blank. I would have had absolutely no idea what I was looking at or it’s significance without the geocache. I find so many interesting places and things because of my geocaching.


I missed taking pics at the other state lines but from here on in, I’m determined to collect pics as I cross imaginary lines. This one is more interesting than most.







Rock Spring (MM 330.2) lead me to a really nice 20 minute walk around through the wooded area, across some rather well built stepping stones across the creek and around by the pond. Also another earthcache to add to my collection.
Next, a stop on the Tennessee side of the Tennessee River for pictures of the longest bridge on the Parkway. Neat bridge!

 













Just on the other side of the bridge is the Colbert Ferry site. Mr. Colbert definitely knew how to drive a hard bargain apparently.

 





And I’m in Mississippi…yeehaw! 








I headed on down the road to the little town of Tishomingo for gas and some fresh grocery supplies. Good thing I passed the first gas station right off the parkway. Gas was $2.49 a gallon and my first thought was, geez, I thought gas prices had gone down. Ha, the station in town was a $1.79 a gallon. Groceries bought, tank filled and I was off to Tishomingo State Park for the night. 

I’ve never been in Mississippi before - well for about 1 hour one time years ago but that was by mistake – but the ranger at the park knew me well. Turns out they use Reserve America for the campsite bookings and my stays in Alabama and Florida 2 years ago had put me firmly in their system. Now I don’t have to keep giving them all my information. While some see big brother, I see convenience at the end of long day!




No comments:

Post a Comment