Sunday, December 13, 2015

Natchez Trace Parkway - Jeff Busby Camp to Rocky Springs



December 4 & 5, 2015 Published December 13, 2015

After settling in to the campsite at Jeff Busby Camp area, early afternoon for a change, I hiked up to the top of the highest point in Mississippi – a whopping 603 feet above sea level. Since I started way down below it was another one of the heart stress test climbs. Paved all the way but steep nonetheless.

Next morning, I was off to the road, bright and early. I figured I’d get some sightseeing in and then stop for breakfast along the way.
French camp is the site of Louis LeFleur’s stand (inn) which he opened in 1812. Today it is the site of a private interdenominational school which operates the historical village that is open to the public. The school was founded in 1885 by the Presbyterian church as a boys school, integrated with a similar girls school in 1915 and continues on today with the same high standards. 
Rear Staircase in center of house
Drane Home




Blacksmith Shop


Unfortunately I was there before the gift shop and the café opened for the day but I spent a good while wandering the grounds.

A quick stop at the Kosciusko Welcome Centre to grab a geocache turned in to an hour long visit with the woman there who was a fellow geocacher. I just might have turned her loose on travelling the nation as well. Finally bidding her goodbye and urging her to get out and enjoy herself, I headed south in to Choctaw territory.

A stop of at the Upper Choctaw boundary was neat – the trees are still standing somehow or as I suspect, they’re new trees that have been allowed to stand in place of the original ones.


Upper Choctaw Boundary
 









And then the Cypress Swamp. I met a lady sitting on a big log with a camera lens to envy. I’m sure with my hiking poles and my clomping down the trail, every bird within a ¼ mile had taken flight but we had a good chat and I left her to wait for the birds to return. Interesting cypress trees, I don’t think I’ve seen them that large before.




A quick stop at what used to be the Florida boundary, another burial mound site, a couple of smaller battle sites and I arrived at the Lower Choctaw Boundary.

West Florida Boundary


 
 


















And I was in to the last camping area on the Trace Parkway with plenty of time to sit and enjoy some late afternoon sunshine. Obviously, I’m moving right along now – a grand total of 138 miles of the parkway done today.









No comments:

Post a Comment